Monday, November 10, 2008

Abstract

Kongo is being amazingly good with his pesky little sister. She enjoys nothing more to wake him up from a good nap, pounce on his head and chew on his ears. Over all I think he would classify her as a big pain in the neck. I've gotten a few interesting shots of them playing. The first one is my favorite. It looks so unnatural- complete with frog legs and all.







4 Comments:

Blogger Colby, Raven, Elsa said...

I found your blog through one of the other puppy raising blogs and was trying to find out what service dog organization you were raising for. Also, are Beasley and Kongo both puppies in training? Sorry, for the questions I combed through several posts in your archive, but couldn't find the information.

By the way, I'm a raiser for Guide Dogs of America and I'm currently raising my second dog, Derby.

November 11, 2008 4:47 PM  
Blogger *~Amy~* said...

Hi Colby,

I am raising for Dog Guides Canada. It is based in Oakville, Ontario and provides free service dogs for the blind, deaf, disabled, as well as for people suffering from seizures.

Yes, both of my puppies are in training. I tend to overlap, so I always have one older dog almost ready to go in for formal training, and one young puppy.

November 12, 2008 6:14 PM  
Blogger Colby, Raven, Elsa said...

Thanks for the information. When do you know what service your dog will perform? I'm sure the training is different for each discipline.

When does Kongo go in for formal training? Our puppies don't go in until they are 18-22 months.

November 13, 2008 1:42 PM  
Blogger *~Amy~* said...

Kongo is going in for training in January. He will be 13 months old. Our dogs get recalled anytime after 10 months, depending on the demand.

When they go back for training they will be assessed and assignmed a program. Temperment, size, retrieving skills, activity level and more all play a factor in determining which program the dog goes into. In the foster home all dogs recieve the same basic set of skills. The only factor that will narrow down a foster puppy is size, obviously our miniature poodle will be hearing or seizure dogs, and our big labs will be skills or vision. Still not certain though, a big lab with good hearing skills may still be used.

November 14, 2008 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home