Another Chapter Closes
Another foster puppy's chapter in my life has closed. Giddy was disqualified at the beginning of March and we started the search for her perminant home. Unfortunately it didn't seem to be coming together as quickly as planned, so instead of having her sit in the kennels, I brought her home after Balsam's puppy class. Luckily, a few short days after bringing her home, a great couple came to visit and started the adoption ball rolling. Last Monday she went for a trial visit with then, and thankfully won't be returning to me, or the kennels! They have finalized her adoption and this Saturday when I head up to Dog Guides, I will submit all of her paperwork :)
She seems to be fitting in great. She isn't perfect but they realize that and are willing to work with her. They also have a retired SSD who is sure to keep Giddy on her toes.
"Hi Amy, Just wanted to let you know first night and "work day" went really well. The dogs are getting to know each other and she will definitely give Hilton a run for her money. Two walks yesterday and a short one already today after work. She is settling in very well. "a tired dog is a good dog". thanks again for bringing her up here. I'll keep in touch."
"Hi Amy, Just a further update before you return to the DGC on Sat. We are having a great time with Giddy. She is fitting in as "Second dog in command" (okay that means she last in terms of order in the household but I haven't told her that yet)... She's doing really well with meal time (she sits and waits until given the okay command). She is getting some training right now on the command "come". And let me tell you about the water adventure. Went on a walk on a trail with a ditch beside it - couldn't have tried to stop her from going in. There was also a stream which passes under the trail farther along - I thought that Ted was going down.... All was okay. We are enjoying her very much and while she's still a work in progress she has great family dog potential. No destruction of any personal items to mention - she doesn't really bother with many toys or other things unless we are directly interacting with her.... What a nice girl ...Very calm and still "a leaner"."
Woops, the dragging Ted doesn't surprise me, I warned them she is a water dog through and through. If they are willing to keep her after that, I know she is where she belongs!
As you already know, I will be picking up a new puppy on Saturday. Before getting on the list, I contemplated taking on a transfer puppy again. It is something rewarding but also challenging. I decided that at this point it is something that would be too hard emotionally on me. Having both my tranfer puppies disqualified for behaviour problems was heartbreaking. I worked extremely hard with both of them, but in the end it just wasn't enough. So for now, I will stick to the babies, whom I can mold into what I want, and Dog Guides needs, from day one.
She seems to be fitting in great. She isn't perfect but they realize that and are willing to work with her. They also have a retired SSD who is sure to keep Giddy on her toes.
"Hi Amy, Just wanted to let you know first night and "work day" went really well. The dogs are getting to know each other and she will definitely give Hilton a run for her money. Two walks yesterday and a short one already today after work. She is settling in very well. "a tired dog is a good dog". thanks again for bringing her up here. I'll keep in touch."
"Hi Amy, Just a further update before you return to the DGC on Sat. We are having a great time with Giddy. She is fitting in as "Second dog in command" (okay that means she last in terms of order in the household but I haven't told her that yet)... She's doing really well with meal time (she sits and waits until given the okay command). She is getting some training right now on the command "come". And let me tell you about the water adventure. Went on a walk on a trail with a ditch beside it - couldn't have tried to stop her from going in. There was also a stream which passes under the trail farther along - I thought that Ted was going down.... All was okay. We are enjoying her very much and while she's still a work in progress she has great family dog potential. No destruction of any personal items to mention - she doesn't really bother with many toys or other things unless we are directly interacting with her.... What a nice girl ...Very calm and still "a leaner"."
Woops, the dragging Ted doesn't surprise me, I warned them she is a water dog through and through. If they are willing to keep her after that, I know she is where she belongs!
As you already know, I will be picking up a new puppy on Saturday. Before getting on the list, I contemplated taking on a transfer puppy again. It is something rewarding but also challenging. I decided that at this point it is something that would be too hard emotionally on me. Having both my tranfer puppies disqualified for behaviour problems was heartbreaking. I worked extremely hard with both of them, but in the end it just wasn't enough. So for now, I will stick to the babies, whom I can mold into what I want, and Dog Guides needs, from day one.



1 Comments:
Oh, sad to hear she was released, but so pleased to hear she is doing so well in her new home and that she is so adored (even with her quirks!) :D
Post a Comment
<< Home