A Scary Situation

Last night I had an extremely scary thing happen. After letting the dogs out in the evening, I heard screaming from one of the dogs. When I got out I found Beasley and Stanley freaking out. When they play together they tend to grab each other by the throat and collars. In this case, Beasley had gotten her bottom jaw twisted in Stanley's martingale collar. Beasley couldn't get free and the collar was restricting bloodflow to her jaw. On top of that, the collar had twisted so tightly that Stanley couldn't breath. Neither of them understood what was happening so they were attacking each other as the source of their pain. If you are familiar with martingale collars you understand that there is no way to undo them. I had to hold the dogs down while my mom ran inside and grabbed scissors. We then had to cut Stanley's collar off in order to free them. I had heard of things like this happening but never experienced it first hand. I just wanted to let people know my experience. I will never have my dogs out playing in collars without snap buckles and I'm going to try and stop letting them grab each other by the collars. Luckily these puppies are never out when we aren't home, but I can't imagine what might have happened if we hadn't been.
Labels: Chloe



4 Comments:
Wow! That is seriously scary. I have also heard stories about this, but hope to never experience it first hand. Thank goodness you heard the screaming and were able to act so quickly!
Oh my goodness! That is so scary. I am glad they are both okay!
That's such a scary situation! It's happened a couple times to the director of our organization and now we're just waiting for the order of buckle martingales to arrive! While it's always a good idea to take collars off while dogs play it's not always possible! Thankfully they're both (and you and your mom) are all ok! Hugs to you all!
That is extremely scary! At JLAD one of the dogs died due to injuries internally from two dogs getting their jaws stuck in the collar. There are martingales that have buckles in case this happens, Joy ordered some for all JLAD dogs. Only a couple have come in so far, but if you want I can see if I can get the website they were ordered from for you! I'm glad everyone is ok though! Eclipse and Eva always grab each others collars when they play too.
Post a Comment
<< Home